Friday, May 17, 2013

It's Bokwa® Baby!

I mentioned in a previous post that I have a plan to help me stay on track this time around.  Well it's called Bokwa® Fitness.  For a while I have been contemplating a new way to help keep myself accountable.  I thought what better way than to become a fitness instructor.  I thought of becoming a fitness instructor for quite a few different reasons.

I'm on a journey to a healthier life.  I've been feeling wonderful about myself.  My self-esteem has skyrocketed and I'm starting to really like the way I look.  It's a wonderful feeling to have...Loving yourself that is.  All the people in the world can tell me how great I look, or what have you, but if I'm not convinced the kind words from people won't work.  I'm starting to see what other people are seeing.  I want to help other people feel this way as well.  I know what it's like to not like yourself.  I also know what it's like to start enjoying life and how you look.  I want to help show people that it's possible.  If I can do it, anyone can do it.  I think that it might also help others struggling like me.  It's like "I'm your teacher but you're helping me because I'm going through the exact same thing as you"...does that make sense?

We all know how I struggle with accountability.  I've been on and off this weight loss thing for many many years.  I had to look at myself and try to figure out what in my life am I actually good at sticking to?  What quality/ability do I have that helps me accomplish something well.  I figured it out.  I have a really good work ethic.  I've had a job since I was 15.  I have always taken every job seriously and professionally. So I decided to apply this strength to my healthy lifestyle.  I'm going to make this my job.  Literally. I've decided to get certified to teach Group Fitness Exercise.

For a long time I've been wanting to be a Zumba instructor.  I looked into becoming an instructor but it just never seemed like the right fit for me.  With Zumba you need to choreograph everything and honestly I don't feel I'm that creative.  I also didn't know if I would have enough time to put into choreography.  I have always loved Zumba and I owe a great deal to Zumba.  I've never had a passion to exercise and become healthier because I hated working out.  Zumba however was totally different.  It's so much fun and the passion that comes from the instructors is addicting!  I love it, but like I said I'm intimidated by it.  So I did some researching and I saw something on Facebook called "Bokwa".  It was a an event to a local instructor certification.  I had no idea what this Bokwa thing was and I looked into it.  I fell in love.

BOKWA® is Different.  It is not really a dance workout - there is no choreography and no counting steps.  Participants draw letters and numbers with their feet, while moving together to music in free form rythm.

Everyone is doing it.  If you can move and you can spell, you can do Bokwa®.  From 4 year old kids, to men and women in their seventies, to guys with "2 left feet", to world champion dancers, Bokwa® engages participants of all ages in the same class and to the same music.

What I love about Bokwa® is that I don't have to chorerograph.  It's also a non-stop workout.  Sometimes in a Zumba class you go song to song, which means there's a break in between songs as the instructor searches or cues up the next song to play.  In Bokwa the music is constant so you are non-stop moving.  I did only a half hour the other day and I was DRIPPING with sweat. Gross right? WRONG! It's awesome!!

So after much discussion, research, prayer, and the whole nine yards I decided to get certified to teach Bokwa®.  So in short this is my new plan.  I'm going to teach fitness! I'm now a Bokwa® Level 1 Certified Fitness Instructor!! Wish me luck, I start teaching in June!! More to come of course about this new adventure!!


4 comments:

  1. Good Luck with your renewed start. How do I follow you by email? Can I subscribe to get updates through email? I'm sure you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. never mind just saw the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the follow!!! I really appreciate the support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I stumbled on this site as I have recently discovered Bokwa and fell in love.. I am taking my cert on Jan 12th and I am super excited! I am looking at ways to promote as not too many people are familiar..trying to spread Bokwa love :)

    ReplyDelete