Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Why in the World am I doing this?

I wanted to write this post for my future and current Bokwa students.  I am also writing this for my Bokwa family.  As I've been writing this blog for the last year, I'm on a journey.  My weight was at an all-time high this time last year.  That's when I decided to really take myself seriously.  I had to take a good long hard look at myself and really understand what I was doing to myself by not being active and eating nothing but junk.  I decided to fix all of it.  So for the next 6 months I ate properly and I worked out religiously.  I lost almost 30 lbs. in roughly 6 months!  Amazing right?  Well here's the problem that followed.  I started to really like what I looked like, I had become complacent with myself.  I liked the changes but I lost sight of my goal.

Time went by and I stopped being so strict.  My talent of making excuses started to rear its ugly head.  This whole time I had a great opportunity that I never took advantage of.  I made every excuse in the book the avoid working out and eating right.  Instead I kept pushing it to the side and as I result I lost focus.  I never gave up though; it was always in the back of my mind to get back on track.  It just took me a really long time to get back on track…longer than it should have taken me.

I knew that something had to change.  I had to up my game.  I obviously wasn't strong enough to push myself.  I figured that out quickly.  I never listened to myself when I knew I needed to work out.  Sometimes my husband would try to push me to work out but that just ended up annoying me…sorry babe.  So I had to do something different.  Then I got an idea.
I went to a Master Class at the studio I always go to.  The class was led by my friend Tricia and Zumba ZES Kelly Bullard.  It was a 2 hour class of fun and inspiration.  During the entire class I kept thinking to myself how much fun I was having and how inspiring an instructor is.  I also made note of how much an instructor pushes themselves for their students.  This got me thinking.  I thought “maybe I should become an instructor”. 

I had my reservations though.  I didn't want to become an instructor for attention.  I wanted to become an instructor so that I would push myself and be pushed by others.  If I made working out a job then it would happen.  I've always had a good work ethic.  I know that when somebody is depending on me to show up, there is not a doubt in my mind that I can succeed in doing my job and doing it well.

Find me on Facebook for updates
& more: Ceci Bokwa Fitness!
So I am refocusing and re-charging.  Saturday marked my 1st day back.  I have taught 2 classes so far and I am loving it.  It’s such an amazing feeling being able to share my knowledge with people who are hungry for it.  I hope to inspire people to become happy and healthy.  I am going through the same thing as everyone else in class.  I am fighting hard to get to a better version of me.  I hope that I can be the inspiration or the help that someone needs….I hope that I can be the inspiration and help that I need.  I’m forever grateful to the people who gave me a chance and came to my first few classes.  I can only hope and pray that you all continue to have faith in me.  I’m working hard to get better for my family, for my students, for my fellow Bokwa instructors, and most importantly for myself. 

So here we go!  We’re going to “Sweat the Alphabet, and Dance the Digits” together one our way to a better life!  Come join me on my continued journey but down a different path…I think I just had a Pocahontas moment…woah!


In the words of the Paul Mavi, the creator of Bokwa, "...it's all about making someone feel better about themselves and feel better period...Motion creates Better Emotion”.  I hope that I can do just that for myself and for the people of The Ohio Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment