Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Atkinized

Yes, I did make up that word!  I have officially started Atkins and have successfully Atkinized my home.  I have stocked the fridge full of veggies, meats, and cheese.  I have a meal/snack plan for everyday.  Yesterday was my first day back on Atkins and it was successful.  I ate all my veggies! That is a huge accomplishment for me.  I do not like veggies.  I feel that they have no taste and are quite boring.  Usually if I eat a salad I load it with toppings (cheese, sunflower seeds, etc.).  This time around I am not doing that.  I'm not allowed to have nuts or seeds yet, and I need to limit my cheese intake because I tend to binge on it and that slows down the weight loss process.  So I choked down the veggies.  Hopefully with time and patience I can learn to like veggies.  Right now I find them lame.  Lame but edible.

One of the main things I love about Atkins is that because of the high protein and all the veggies you need to consume it is a great way to curve your appetite.  I never feel hungry when I'm eating properly. I could eat a whole bag of chips and within an hour I would be hungry again.  When I eat fresh and healthy I almost find it hard to eat because I'm not hungry.  I have to keep eating, under eating is dangerous.  It's a wonderful feeling being in control of your appetite.  Plus nothing kicks hunger like a couple of hard-boiled eggs.

So my biggest thing with Atkins is breakfast.  I have become accustom to eating a simple breakfast, an Atkins chocolate shake.  It's full of protein and other vitamins.  It has been a wonderful way to start my day because it gives me a great boost of energy.  However, I cannot have these shakes while I am in the early phases of this lifestyle.  The shakes have milk in them and milk is not allowed until a later phase.  So I went to this great website (Atkins Diet Bulletin Board) that is full of all sorts of awesome things.  There is advice, support, tricks to the trade, and a ton of recipes!  I found this recipe and was hesitant to try it.

Vanilla Shake
2 eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp Splenda
1 tbs cream
5 ice cubes


Whip eggs in blender until light and fluffy.  Add rest of ingredients, whip until ice cubes are no longer chunky, or until desired consistency.


The eggs are raw.  As you can imagine that doesn't sound good.  Who eats raw eggs?  Well I did!  I was scared to try it, but a lot of people on that website tried it and said it was good.  So I decided to give it a try.  I really missed having my shakes in the morning and I don't like to cook every morning.  So this sounded like a wonderful substitute.  Except...it has raw eggs...gross.  So I put the eggs into the blender and whipped them for a very very long time.  Then I added the rest of the ingredients and blended for a long time.  I waited until the ice cubes were no longer even slush.  They really just watered down the shake.  I bet if I added more ice cubes it would be more shake-like.  Anyway it tasted a lot like egg-nog.  The only thing I didn't like about it was the taste of the Splenda.  I've never been a big fan of splenda.  I was pleasantly surprised with the taste.  It really did taste like a vanilla shake.

I did my research because there are risks involved with eating raw eggs.  However, the statistics seemed in my favor.  I don't think I will have one of these every morning.  Mainly to cut down on the risks of getting salmonella or something.  I am happy that I have found a shake substitute.  It makes my mornings that much better.

2 comments:

  1. This is like a smoothie with nothing in it. When I was in college I drank a lot of smoothies for breakfast. This is my recipe: One cup of milk, one banana, one egg, and ice in a blender. Of course you can't have the milk and banana. After a little research, I discovered that a tablespoon of cocoa wouldn't hurt, and man, did it improve the flavor. I think a tablespoon of baking cocoa adds about three carbs. Look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that makes me feel better. I was worried about the raw egg thing. Did you buy special eggs? Or just any carton of eggs from wherever? The cocoa sounds like a good idea. I never really liked vanilla flavored stuff beside cookies...yum!

      Delete