Saturday, June 16, 2012

Yargh! Wake Up!

So I'm still struggling with waking up on time.  Saturday I had a party to get to and then work.  I slept late and did not wake up in time to get my workout in.  I'm bummed about this, but it's nobody's fault but my own.  I'm just a little stuck for ideas on how to get my bum out of bed in the morning. 

My work day doesn't end until 2:00am, which means that by the time I get home and get to bed it's close to 3:00am.  So if I woke up between 7am and 8am that means I would have a total of maybe 4-5 hours of sleep.  My dream day would be for me to wake up that early and get my workout in before the kids are awake.  I am not succeeding at this though.  I've tried so many different things.  Praying, setting my alarm across the room so I have to stand up to turn it off, sleeping in the living room so I hear my husband leave for work, and so many more.  I just can't seem to get up.  I love my sleep, my body doesn't want to get out of the nice warm bed!

I've been so good at eating right and working out.  I hate missing my workouts, especially if it's because I'm being lazy and not waking up.  I don't drink caffeine so I don't know how to get things started in the morning.  How do other people do it?  How do they manage to get out of bed and do stuff on such little sleep?  I can't use the kids as an excuse to get up because they tend to sleep until 11am (I know right?!?!).  Argh, this is so frustrating to me.  How do I defeat this?  Seriously, I would love some input, ideas, advice, ANYTHING!  I can't miss another workout.  I need to start my day right.  If I get my workout in first thing in the morning then the rest of my day will be awesome.  It gives me energy and all those positive endorphins are awesome!  This game I play with myself has become the hardest one of all in this journey...help!

2 comments:

  1. One idea that I came across in the same quest was tell yourself to just sit up. Once you do that, your brain begins to think, even a tiny bit. Then tell yourself to just stand up and from there, tell yourself if you want to lie back down, you can, but first you have to stand up. usually at that point, you can keep going. If that part's not a problem, hope into the shower as soon as you get up. It feels so good and will get you going! (and don't be afraid of showering twice in a day if it's helpful, I had to get over that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4-5 hours of sleep, Cecily you're a maniac! I still can't get used to that, I crave the days of 7-8 hours. I have read that a complete REM cycle of sleep is 90 minutes, trying to wake in the middle if a cycle will always be difficult no matter how long you've been asleep. You need about 15 minutes to fall asleep, so if you plan your sleep time for 4-1/2 or 6 hours, plus 15 minutes to doze off fully, waking up should be easier. The few times I've tried it does seem to work, now if I could only get Mason to comply ;-). Try it out, I'm curious to know if it works for other people!

    ReplyDelete