Thursday, June 14, 2012

Hello, Old Friend

Ketone Bodies
Makes me look smart huh?
Greetings Ketosis, it has been a long time since I've seen you.  I am officially in full swing of Atkins.  When you do Atkins, your body goes into Ketosis.  Ketosis is what your body goes through when you consume less carbs.  Ketosis means that my body is using fat for energy.  Ketones are molecules generated during fat metabolism (either by what you just ate or what you've been carrying around your middle...guilty!).  When you eat less carbs, your body will turn to fat for energy, and this is why ketones are generated.  Ketosis is a fat burning process and I have achieved it! Yay for peeing on a stick....sorry that was a little tmi...

Now just to cover all points, a lot of people think that Atkins is bad because they are confusing Ketosis with Ketoacidosis.  They are two different things.   Ketoacidosis is a condition which occurs when a person experiences a significant drop in insulin and a concomitant rise in glucose levels, usually above 250 mg/deciliter. Essentially exclusive to diabetics and alcoholics, ketoacidosis-- also referred to as diabetic acidosis, DKA, or simply acidosis-- is responsible for approximately 4-9% of diabetic patient hospital visits. Its onset can be triggered by an underlying infection, most often a urinary tract infection (UTI), missed insulin treatments, trauma, stress, and in the case of alcoholics, excessive alcohol consumption coupled with a starvation diet.  So there you go.

Say what you will oh naysayers!  I'm feeling great and I'm getting all my nessecary carbs from vegetables.  I'm not eating sugar, or white bread...how can that be bad for you?  Atkins can be hard, but so is every other diet.  I need to take it one day at a time and stay patient.  The weight will come off, and I will get healthier.  Stay focused!  Easier said than done, but this time I'm mentally prepared.  I welcome Ketosis with open arms, it means it's working!

No comments:

Post a Comment