Friday, June 22, 2012

Vegetables

I don't know what's more amazing...The fact that I gave up sugar or the fact that I am starting to enjoy my vegetables.  I have always disliked vegetables.  I didn't like the taste of the ones I actually tried.  I didn't like the texture of others.  For example,  I love the flavor of onions but I hated eating them because of the texture.  I've been such a big baby for so many years.  Half of the stuff I said I don't like I never even tried.

Giving up sugar was hard at first but once the cravings stopped it's no big deal.  I have no desire for anything that has sugar.  When I would eat something that has sugar in it, it was so overwhelmingly sweet I could never eat the whole thing.  The only thing I have to watch is the amount of gum I chew because that can cause a trigger for my sugar cravings.

I have always enjoyed raw spinach salads.  Normally I would load them with toppings.  I have limited those toppings and had the spinach the actual focus of my salad.  Yesterday I was making scrambled eggs and they looked boring.  So I decided to try something wild and crazy!  I added fresh spinach to my scrambled eggs.  Lo and behold it was delicious!!!  I've always said I didn't like cooked spinach. Maybe I should have tried it first... My eggs were so good with the spinach in there.  It's definitely a keeper recipe.  It makes me wonder after all these years of saying I don't like spinach cooked and in fact it's quite delicious, how many other vegetables have I missed out on because I'm a big baby?

Hell must have frozen over and there have to pigs flying somewhere.  I never thought this day would come that I would actually say I enjoyed choosing veggies over sugary stuff or other stuff that is bad for me.  Oh yeah cream cheese and green pepper is also quite amazingly delicious!  I'm going to broaden m y horizons and try more veggies!  I know this post is silly but it's a big deal for me the anti-veggie.  I've been anti-veggies all my life and to see my tastes changing is awesome.

3 comments:

  1. My boys' favorites are baby carrots and red peppers. I am a huge fan of red peppers myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cecily. Glad to have run across you on a atkins question that led me to your blog. This is day 4 of the Atkins diet for me. I am just glad to know someone else on it that began around the same time. I am similar to you in the fact that starting weight was 206 and goal is 155. Only difference is I am 5"5, and I haven't started a regular/consistant workout routine. But you are so getting me to think of incorporating one. It could only help. I just bookmarked you so I will stay in touch. I haven't touched the white stuff either but am still hungry an hour or two after meal or snack. I just white knucle it but its hard. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for following! It really helps me to know people are reading it :) I find a when I get a craving or want to randomly snack (bad habit I'm still trying to kick) I eat a dill pickle and it satisfies any kind of craving or snack need that I have. Once you have the taste of pickle something sweet just sounds aweful, lol!

      I'm 5'2" and 150 is my first goal. Once I reach that I'll re-evaluate and probably set a new goal for my actual range that I should be in for my hight.

      Thanks agains for reading! Good luck in your journey :)

      Delete