Saturday, June 23, 2012

Healthy Habits Start Young


Looks like I'm not the only one who likes spinach in their breakfast!  I've mentioned this before but I think it's that important that I'm writing about it again.  I'm changing my life and what I eat and my activity level.  It's important for me.  It is even more important for my children.  They do what I do.  I'm their role model.  I need to teach them the importance of activity and making healthy food choices.  If I can teach them how important these choices are while they're young then that paves the way for good healthy choices their whole life.

If they understand how important it is to stay active then they will hopefully be active their whole life.  I'm excited to see what activities my kids will get into.  Sports, dance, band?  It's going to be awesome.  I was active in high school.  I played volleyball and I walked everywhere.  I had a couple of different jobs and they were both in walking distance.  I also have a bunch of siblings I would play with.  Since I was active I was able to eat whatever I wanted.  I loved being able to do this.  I never paid attention to what I weighed in high school, I didn't have to.  I was lucky.  As I got older the activity slowed down.  I wasn't playing sports anymore, and the walking was not as frequent as it used to be.  The eating didn't slow down though.  I kept eating whatever I wanted (my college had a 24/7 ice cream machine for crying out loud!).  This way of living resulted in complete lack of activity and horrible food choices, and voila that's how I got to where I am today.  

My parents did a great job at making sure I was eating right but once I was old enough to get food on my own I had a field day!  Some days if I got off of work early I would stop at the Burger King and eat a big old meal.  Other days if I was out running errands or something I would stop at Dairy Queen and eat a huge meal.  There was candy, chips, ice cream, everything.  My parents didn't know because whenever I came home I would still eat the nice big meals my mom served (minus the veggies) or sometimes I'd be really sneaky and buy my mom a blizzard to soften her up.  It was a terrible habit I got into.  Unlike me, my mother has gotten healthy and lost a lot of weight and looks amazing.  I should have followed her example long ago.
Well, I am learning from the past and my past mistakes.  I'm changing.  I'm taking control like my mother and father did.  I am getting healthier by the day.  I see the changes in myself and all the good choices I've been making these last 56 days (woah 56?!?! amazing).  I see the choices I'm making for my children.  I see my children embracing this new way of living.  That is what counts and it's awesome!

*Edited because I didn't know the full story, sorry mom.

3 comments:

  1. HEY! Waddya mean, your mother's bad food choices? I would allow myself the occasional treat when I was pregnant and, yes, I would gain 40 pounds during pregnancy, but I would lose it all again. I was 116 before I started carrying JJ, at age 38. After John Paul was born (2000) I foolishly became impatient with my usual weight loss program and bought into the low-fat philosophy. The medical establishment has been in love with the low-fat diet and the food pyramid for decades, but I can tell you from experience, it is lethal. After four years of meticulously watching my fat intake (no more than 10% of daily calories coming from fat)I had acne, heart murmurs, monthly yeast infections, and arthritis. I thought, well, that's just what being 40 is about. I also weighed over 150 pounds! One day you left the Atkins book on the dining room table and our neighbor Linda spotted it. She said something that struck me as bizarre: "I tried it and it really works, you absolutely lose the weight, but I couldn't stand all that rich food!" Really? Really? I would do a lot of worse things to actually lose weight--I had just finished the 14 day cabbage soup diet at the time. So I tried Atkins and the rest is history. To sum up--I did not suddenly "take control" of my bad food choices a few years back. I have always been pretty disciplined about food, even going back to grade school I counted calories. But while I was being so disciplined I got some bad information that played havoc with my health.So now you know . . . the rest of the story . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I didn't mean anything by it. I just know you weren't happy with where you were and the bad food choices mainly had to do with believing the pyramid and low-fat myths. I'm sorry.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, well, I'll let you off this time, you member of the mainstream media, you.

    ReplyDelete