Wednesday, May 23, 2012

3 Days and Counting!


Beto, the creator of Zumba
 This Saturday I will be going to Pittsburgh to a live Zumba event where none other than the creator of the program, Beto Perez, will be there!  I’m so excited.  I bought my first Zumba workout videos roughly around 2006, maybe ’07.  It was a lot of fun but I was easily distracted so naturally I didn’t stick to the workout.  After having those VHS tapes sitting around my house for a few years I decided to sell the tapes at a used bookstore.

So time passed and I gained weight.  I tried a few different things here and there (running, gym memberships, P90x, etc) but nothing stuck.  Rather I never let anything stick.  This time around I found a studio in town that has live Zumba classes.  I hate working out in front of people but I decided to suck it up and go to a class and try it out again.  The instructor, Tricia, was sooooo much fun!  She had such a fire and passion for what she does.  It literally lit a fire in me to do try Zumba again.

So I bought a Wii and the Zumba Wii game.  It was fun but it really didn’t push me.  I tried going to more classes but it was a hard finding time to get to a live class.  I work full-time, the Mr. works full-time, I have children.  It’s hard fitting in a class.  So since the Wii wasn’t really doing anything for me, I decided to purchase the Zumba Exhilarate DVD’s.  If you read any of my past posts or my workout journal, I hit the ground running with the Zumba DVD’s.  They are a lot of fun, hard, but fun.  Plus I’ve managed to fit the workouts in my daily routine! Yay!

Yesterday I went back to the studio for a live class for the first time in about a year.  It was a ton of fun!  I struggled.  It was hard to keep up with everyone.  I know the steps but I just don’t seem to move fast enough.  I put my all into it.  I actually felt my abs hurting.  I haven’t felt abdominal muscles in 10 years.  All my kids have been c-sections so honestly there was never a reason to use my abs in the past few years.  I hope to be able to make it to a live class once a week.  The DVD’s are great but the live classes push me that much more.

So Saturday.  Yes I am excited.  I am also terrified.  There are going to be at least 800 people there and I really really hope I’m not the biggest most out of shape person there.  I know that’s awful to say but when you’re at this level of unhealthy you develop some insecurities.  This would make for a perfect excuse to not go.  I know I won’t be able to keep up.  I know I will take a lot of breaks for water and to catch my breath.  I know I will feel awkward and self-conscious.  There are so many reasons I don’t want to do this.  However, this is a chance of a lifetime.  I have such a strong love for Zumba and my history with the program goes way back.  I’ve done it for just under a month now and I haven’t tired of it.  How many chances will I get to do Zumba live with the creator?  I don’t know if I’ll meet him but it will still be awesome to see him live.  So I am going to suck it up.  I will be terrified but having a blast all at the same time.  3 days! Betoooooooo!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment