Thursday, May 17, 2012

End of an era?

This would be me everyday, all day
I grew up without watching a lot of television.  It was a good thing and I'm very glad my parents had that rule.  Myself and my siblings spent our days reading and playing outside.  Almost a thing of the past these days....  I noticed that when we all grew up we took different paths.  Some siblings stayed away from the television, others become addicted...heck, I work in television for a living.  I watch a lot of television.  My DVR is full of shows.  Naturally my kids have picked up yet another one of my bad habits.  We wake up and turn the tv on.  We leave it on all day, we eat in front of it, we go to bed watching it.  My mother will be horrified reading this..........

Well today was the season finale of 30 Rock, a show I enjoy.  The TV station I work at was airing this show at the same time I normally take my break and go for a walk.  I honestly had it going through my head that I didn't need to go for my walk, I can just stay inside and watch my TV show.  Technically it's my rest day so I don't need to do anything active...

So I took my walk.  That's right, I said no to watching television and took a nice 1 mile walk!  Choosing exercising over watching television is another accomplishment for me.  Could it be that this bad habit of sitting around and doing nothing and watching pointless stuff on TV is over?  I gotta tell you I certainly enjoyed my walk. It appears that I can live without television. 

Benefits of walking

Walking, like other exercise, can help you achieve a number of important health benefits. Walking can help you:
So I don't look like this but it will happen!
  • Lower LDL cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol)
  • Raise HDL cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol)
  • Lower your blood pressure
  • Reduce your risk of or manage type 2 diabetes
  • Manage your weight
  • Improve your mood
  • Stay strong and fit




Television does absolutely none of that.  Why would you not want to take a walk instead of watching television??

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You're doing great, Cec! I have to say we don't watch much tv, but growing up in a household much like you did (thanks Mom!), I feel guilty with the little bit we do watch. But I think that is mostly because during the times we do not have the tv on, we are still not as active as we should be...but we're getting better. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am horrified. :) I suggest that on your way to nearly TV-Free living, you refuse to turn on the TV unless you have a specific show in mind. No surfing. You can get the listings online. And no TV for the kids unless you yourself are going to be sitting right there watching it with them. TV is a very inappropriate babysitter.

    ReplyDelete